Sunday, September 8, 2013

Arrivals... There Goes The Neighborhood!

As I sit here and listen to Mexican music blasting from houses and cars passing by, celebrating Mexican Independence! So, I begin to wonder about how my family has come into this neighborhood! I sit and remember the things my parents have told me about this place they grew up in. Little Village celebrates with a parade today and I am writing about how Mexicans have come here!
According to my parents my neighborhood was once full of Polish people. I have been able to see this. When I was younger and my mother would take me to the supermarket we were the only ones that weren't Polish. I would stare at them as they ordered ham from the deli in Polish!! And now my dad has recently moved and we have Polish neighbors. I am still getting used to it because I grew up my whole life around Mexicans! This is a gradual change that takes years. Recently there was an Asian family that moved on to our block and for all I know that could be the start of something else! In a few years their friends and family may also move here and continue to spread. This is always happening everywhere! People tend to stick with what is familiar to them so that is how neighborhoods change! 

2 comments:

  1. I go to Little Village like every Sunday!
    So interesting point you bring up at the end.Dont you think neighborhoods change due to the fact that people are leaving their comfort zone, rather than sticking to what they're use to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Little Village as well! I have also heard that la villita use to be a polish community but that probably was a really long time ago because from what I've seen it takes a while for people to be a little more open and live in a community generally populated by a different race

    ReplyDelete