Monday, May 19, 2014

Short Story #2

I was furious, frustrated and frantic. Those were the words that I could use to express myself. He had already come unexpectedly and changed my home. He was an unwelcomed guest in my eyes. He had no right to get to know me. He was just a guy I met a few years ago. A guy that had a bad reputation in my head. This was all too new to me.
His newest idea just threw me overboard. I was furious, frustrated and frantic. Worst of all I was unable to express anything to my mother because I did not want her to think I was unsupportive of her irreversible actions. Its not as if I could even talk to her alone for more than a second. He was everywhere. He was not mindful of the relationship I had built with my mother. I was of course still angry about the way they handled the sudden news.
He had made so many changes around the house that I could not bear to see my life suddenly become someone else’s. I could not bear to see the life I had built with my mother just slip away. My thoughts were no more. My opinions were no longer part of the decisions made. I was lost.
I was furious, frustrated and frantic. I had no other words in my head to express my thoughts as I had to pass by him. I couldn’t stand to look at him. His efforts to stay oblivious to the matter were slowly slipping away from him. I was making it difficult. His witty jokes weren’t making me laugh anymore. He was annoying me.
Every little thing about him was bugging me. His voice never ceased to make noise. His heavy footsteps across the hall. His attitude. His music that he blasted. His mocking faces and noises as he tried to mimic my mother and me. I was unable to handle this as he brought up the latest subject that infuriated me, frustrated me and made me frantic. 
The tree. The tree outside my house. The gift that the creator of the world gave us. No one could deny this beauty. This was a part of my childhood, my life and this earth. What right had we to change that? The tree was life. The tree was my imagination. I spent hours many summer days sitting up there, thinking as I looked out to the city skyline. That was my place for safety, shelter and goodness. I was surrounded by my good thoughts in that tree. As any negative thoughts tried to creep into my head, I would lift my head to adore the view I could only get from up top.
I could not imagine why he wanted to get rid of it. I had no idea what motive would cause such a horrid thought. Most of all I could not believe he had the nerve to bring it up during dinner, in front of me. My mother had been the bearer of bad news so far, showing me just how courageous he truly was. But he caught me off guard. He spoke the words that I dreaded hearing.

“The tree will be cut down in a couple weeks. I scheduled a day with the city already,” his words pierced through me. My heart raced. My eyes watered. My lip quivered. My body fighting every temptation of giving in at that very moment. I fought. However, I quickly gave up. I turned to my mother, my jaw still dropped as I stared at her in disbelief. I could not believe she had agreed. I was furious, frustrated and frantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment